Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lights, camera, EAT!

Free food?! You know we're there. 4 Courses?! Hot dang, we're classy! ON TV!? Sign me up! This may be my big break! Next up Real World and then a career on Real World/Road Rules challenges followed up by a couple seasons of The Surreal Life. Ahhhhh, you all want to see me living and pay me to do it!


Our entry and drink tickets

So apparently there's some new reality show coming up on the Food Network called The Restaurant. I'm not really sure what the details are but it appears that there are 2 competing restaurants or some such a thing. Anyways, as audience members/food eaters our job was to go have a 4 course dinner at 3pm! All the while a camera man and a boom mike hovered around to catch our witty and insightful conversation. We discussed politics, the effects of the Greek economic reforms on the stability of the Euro, the delayed responses to the oil rig sinking in the gulf coast, oh and our endless barrage of beige food.

But let me take a step back. While we waited for our meal, we were told we would be able to pick between 2 restaurants based on their menus. But when we got into the studio we were told we had to go to the yellow restaurant because the other one was too full (note: that's probably a bad sign). The menu actually looked pretty good, seasonal Italian vegetarian dishes. But it turned out to not be so great.

As mentioned above, everything was beige, which doesn't effect the taste but certainly doesn't help. Other items were cold, or occasionally piping hot, and the eggplant Parmesan was lasagna. I don't know if telling you all that violates the confidentiality agreement I think I signed. Hopefully I get told to take down this post because it would mean that people actually read this. I mean honestly the food wasn't terrible, because I was starving and like eating food, but it was definitely underwhelming. Also it was the sweetest dessert I've ever had in the worst way. It was the only part of the meal I really couldn't stomach. It will be fun to watch the show to see what happened in the kitchen and what the judges think. Oh and also it will be fun to see myself on TV.

OH! And the best part of the whole thing was when the girl at the table next to us spit out her drink while she was on camera! (Oh yeah, we also got free booze). SPIT OUT HER DRINK ON CAMERA! Freaking incredible! And then the girl that she was eating with tried to cover for her by saying "It must be all the carbs" HOLY CRAP IT WAS AWESOME. I hope it gets on TV and edited to be about the food being gross or something. Aw man, it totally made the day worth it. That and being on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment